Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Live Tables failed to launch pipeline cluster

Robin_200273
Contributor

I'm trying to run through the Delta Live Tables quickstart example on Azure Databricks. When trying to start the pipeline I get the following error:

Failed to launch pipeline cluster 0408-131049-n3g9vr4r: The operation could not be performed on your account with the following error message:  azure_error_code: OperationNotAllowed, azure_error_message: Operation could not be completed as it results in...

This is the full message as it appears in the Pipeline Event Log Details (both Summary and JSON version). As far as I have been able to find out Azure throws this error in case spinning up the cluster would exceed the vCPU quota. However, in the Azure usage overview none of vCPUs seem near the quota. Is there some way of seeing the entire error message? This would at least help me establish about which vCPUs this is as I cannot seem to find out which are being used by the pipeline cluster.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Robin_200273
Contributor

This was indeed caused by databricks using a vcpu type that was at its quota. To solve this add an explicit vcpu type to settings.json:

"clusters": [
        {
            "label": "default",
            "node_type_id": "Standard_DS3_v2",
            "driver_node_type_id": "Standard_DS3_v2",
        }
    ],

Note that the UI version of the settings doesn't seem the support changing this hence the need to go into the json version.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Robin Frankhuizen​ , This article describes several scenarios in which a cluster fails to launch, and provides troubleshooting steps for each scenario based on error messages found in logs.

In your case,

To try Azure Databricks, you need to have a “Pay-As-You-Go” subscription.

Azure Free Trail has a limit of 4 cores, and you cannot create an Azure Databricks cluster using a Free Trial Subscription because creating a spark cluster which requires more than 4 cores.

If you have a free account, go to your profile and change your subscription to pay-as-you-go.

Then, remove the spending limit, and request a quota increase for vCPUs in your region.

When you create your Azure Databricks workspace, you can select the Trial (Premium - 14-Days Free DBUs) pricing tier to give the workspace access to free Premium Azure Databricks DBUs for 14 days.

For more details, refer "Sign up for a Free Azure Databricks Trial".

Hi @Kaniz Fatma​ ,

I am using 14 day free trial for Databricks on Azure platform.

I am getting same error. What can I do?

Failed to launch pipeline cluster 0526-095900-zd8jcs62: The operation could not be performed on your account with the following error message:  azure_error_code: OperationNotAllowed, azure_error_message: Operation could not be completed as it results in...

Thanks,

Devashish

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Robin Frankhuizen​ ​ , Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help, or does my response help you to find the solution? Please let us know.

TheOptimizer
Contributor

I am also receiving this error and am a premium customer.

@Kaniz Fatma​ for the win! Your post got me to look at my current quotas in Azure, and I was at limit for the CPU's chosen for processing Delta, so I increased the quota request and re-started the pipeline and everything worked! Thanks

Wow!!

That's great to hear!

@Thomas Wilson​ 

Robin_200273
Contributor

This was indeed caused by databricks using a vcpu type that was at its quota. To solve this add an explicit vcpu type to settings.json:

"clusters": [
        {
            "label": "default",
            "node_type_id": "Standard_DS3_v2",
            "driver_node_type_id": "Standard_DS3_v2",
        }
    ],

Note that the UI version of the settings doesn't seem the support changing this hence the need to go into the json version.

sanjevraj
New Contributor III

I am having this same issue. My quota seems fines and have tried setting the json to an explicit vcpu to no avail. I am on Premium.

Any ideas?

Same here. Banging my head over here.

Ajith
New Contributor II

Hi there, I'm still facing this issue with Azure Databricks. My quotas look alright. Is there anything else that I have to check? Has this been answered elsewhere? Please let me know more. TIA!

Suki
New Contributor II

Hi - just in case anyone else is still experiencing this issue - please see below how I fixed this...

Go to your Azure Portal 'Activity log' and then look for any errors whilst running the Databricks Pipeline...

I received this error in my Activity Log: "Create or Update Virtual Machine - Failed" Operation could not be completed as it results in exceeding the approved standardFSFamily Cores quota. Additional details - Deployment Model: Resource Manager, Location: uksouth, Current Limit: 10, Current Usage: 8, Additional Required: 8, (Minimum) New Limit Required: 16. Submit a request for Quota increase at [***URL***] by specifying parameters listed in the ‘Details’ section for deployment to succeed. Please read more about quota limits at https://disq.us/url?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fazure%2Fazure-supportability%2Fper-vm-quota-requests%3AvJyPQQt21s9--6dqZy4z2vOT8JA&cuid=5011031

I then requested an increase for the following quotas: -

Standard FS Family vCPUs increased from 10 to 50

Standard DSv2 Family vCPUs increased from 10 to 50

And now re-run the pipeline - hopefully, this fixes the issue for you too 🙂

kunaldeb
New Contributor III

This communication really helped me. I am now successfully able to execute DLT pipeline. Thanks to all contributor.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.