Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Databricks supports the Pytorch Distributed Training for multiple devices?

Smu_Tan
New Contributor

Hi, Im trying to use the databricks platform to do the pytorch distributed training, but I didnt find any info about this. What I expected is using multiple clusters to run a common job using pytorch distributed data parallel (DDP) with the code below:

On device 1: %sh python -m torch.distributed.launch --nproc_per_node=4 --nnodes=2 --node_rank=0 --master_addr="127.0.0.1" --master_port=29500 train_something.py

On device 2: %sh python -m torch.distributed.launch --nproc_per_node=4 --nnodes=2 --node_rank=1 --master_addr="127.0.0.1" --master_port=29500 train_something.py

This is definitely supported by other computation platform like slurm, but it failed in the databricks. Could you let me know whether you do support this? or you will consider to add this feature for the later developments. Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

@Shaomu Tan​ , can you check sparktorch?

The parallel processing on Databricks clusters is mainly based on Apache Spark™. So to use the parallel processing, the library in question (PyTorch) has to be written for Spark. spark torch is an attempt to do just that.

You can also run Apache Ray on Databricks or Dask (I thought that was possible too), so bypassing Apache spark

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

@Shaomu Tan​ , can you check sparktorch?

The parallel processing on Databricks clusters is mainly based on Apache Spark™. So to use the parallel processing, the library in question (PyTorch) has to be written for Spark. spark torch is an attempt to do just that.

You can also run Apache Ray on Databricks or Dask (I thought that was possible too), so bypassing Apache spark

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Shaomu Tan​ , Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help, or @Werner Stinckens​ 's response help you to find the solution? Please let us know.

axb0
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

With Databricks MLR, HorovodRunner is provided which supports distributed training and inference with PyTorch. Here's an example notebook for your reference: PyTorchDistributedDeepLearningTraining - Databricks.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.