Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to start cluster

gazzyjuruj
Contributor II

Hi, I ran the cluster more than 5-6 times with it failing to start since this past morning (about 11-12 hours now) since i'm facing this problem.

Attaching screenshot below and also typing in case someone comes from the web to this thread in future.

Problem : -

It says "failed to start cluster" initially, then i click OK and refresh then i get this below:-

Waiting for cluster to start: Unexpected failure during launch. databricks_error_message: com.databricks.backend.manager.instance.InstanceHolder$PlacementLockTimeout: Could not acquire placement lock context = terminateInstance...

IMG_2152IMG_2151 

Hope somebody comes and fixes this issue or clears me about it, thank you have a nice day all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you @Kaniz Fatma​  I can recall now since yesterday everything is working better than ever, fluid smooth! Thanks again, have a great day ahead, really appreciate all the hard work you people do at Databricks, hence Databricks rocks always !! ❤️

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Please check the CPU quota.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Ghazanfar Uruj​ , We're facing abnormal cluster termination in the CE environment. We're working on mitigating the issue. Please bear with us while we sort this out. Thanks.

Thank you, yes I have been experiencing databricks_error = user initiated cluster termination

databricks_error_message: timeout while placing nodes

and soetimes it stays stuck on "finding new nodes, instances if neccessary" for hours..

Hopefully it's fixed soon, thanks for all the hard work you do to keep such a great product and community alive.

Have a great day ahead, thanks again!

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Ghazanfar Uruj​ , Thank you for your kind words. We're working on it. I appreciate your support.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, in the community edition, I had errors and saw in logs that from 3000 nodes, all are unavailable. I managed to start by deleting it and creating a new one in a different availability zone, but it was hard.

Thank you @Kaniz Fatma​  I can recall now since yesterday everything is working better than ever, fluid smooth! Thanks again, have a great day ahead, really appreciate all the hard work you people do at Databricks, hence Databricks rocks always !! ❤️

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you @Ghazanfar Uruj​  again for all the praise! Databricks rocks because of amazing customers like you 🙂 .

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Hubert Dudek​ , Is It working now?

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, as @gazzyjuruj said, it rocks 🙂

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for the update @Hubert Dudek​ !

josstone
New Contributor II

On the node that you are checking, click Start, point to All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. 

richardsmith
New Contributor II

Please check the CPU quota.

worthpicker
New Contributor II

The cluster will be able to start and the nodes will automatically obtain the updated cluster configuration data.

Thank you buddy finally my problem is solved.....

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.