Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visualisation libraries does not work on Databricks

pbezz
New Contributor III

Why is it that certain Python visualisation libraries do not work on Databricks? I am trying to install (via pip) and work with some data visualisation libraries - they work perfectly in a normal Jupyter Notebook but not on a Databricks notebook environment. Do I need to install or configure any extensions on Databricks?

12 REPLIES 12

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

It depends on the library. Maybe share some examples.

pbezz
New Contributor III

The ones I tried are bamboolib and lux.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Patrick Bezzina​ , What DBR version are you trying to install these libraries?

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Patrick Bezzina​ , I tried following commands, and it worked like a charm on DBR 10.5 runtime.

pip install lux
pip install bamboolib
import lux
import bamboolib

pbezz
New Contributor III

We are using DB runtime 10.3 (which includes Apache Spark 3.2.1). For Bamboolib I do not get the button "Show Bamboolib UI" in the output of the cell.

Installing and importing the library works fine but cannot use it.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Patrick Bezzina​ , I tried using bamboolib, which worked fine on DBR 10.3.

pbezz
New Contributor III

@Kaniz Fatma​ what I am referring to is something like this:

Screenshot271-660x276Does Databricks notebook support this widget?

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Patrick Bezzina​ , bamboolib is not yet available within Databricks notebooks.

(You can install and import the Python library, but the GUI will not show up.)

However, a private preview with selected customers will start within the following weeks.

You can sign up for the private preview by contacting your Databricks account team.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Patrick Bezzina​ , Private Preview will most likely begin in the next week after May 23.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Patrick Bezzina​ , We haven’t heard from you on the last response from me, and I was checking back to see if you have a resolution yet. If you have any solution, please share it with the community as it can be helpful to others. Otherwise, we will respond with more details and try to help.

pbezz
New Contributor III

No switched to using html widgets.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Patrick Bezzina​, Thank you for your update. Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever you find an answer to your question. Shall I select this one for you?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.