Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to set order of precedence of spark SQL extensions?

samrachmiletter
New Contributor III

I have the iceberg SQL extension installed, but running commands such as MERGE INTO result in the error

pyspark.sql.utils.AnalysisException: MERGE destination only supports Delta sources.

this seems to be due to using Delta's MERGE command as opposed to Iceberg's. Is it possible to force use of the Iceberg extension before Databricks' own?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@Sam Rachmil-Etter​ , SQL syntax is "Databricks" one so I am afraid it will not work. CONVERT can transform the iceberg parquet into the delta.

Probably in python/scala it could be better as format("iceberg") can be used in DataFrameReader but I have no experience with iceberg on databricks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@Sam Rachmil-Etter​ , SQL syntax is "Databricks" one so I am afraid it will not work. CONVERT can transform the iceberg parquet into the delta.

Probably in python/scala it could be better as format("iceberg") can be used in DataFrameReader but I have no experience with iceberg on databricks.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Sam Rachmil-Etter​ , Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help, or @Hubert Dudek (Customer)​ 's response help you to find the solution? Please let us know.

samrachmiletter
New Contributor III

This does help. I tried going through the DataFrameReader as well but ran into the same error, so it seems it is indeed not possible. Thank you @Hubert Dudek​!

Hi @Sam Rachmil-Etter​ , Would you like to mark @Hubert Dudek​ 's answer as the best?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.