Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does Python "import" statement in a Notebook search (on Azure) for libraries?

Newyn
New Contributor III

I know that import can find installed cluster libraries, workspace libraries etc. as well as how to create wheel libraries externally and upload them.

However, in a project I came across the feature that import was able to find the folder in, if I remember correctly, a git repository. Essentially, I could import the Python library from the folder without installing it as a, for example, wheel library.

I have tried to find information about this feature in the documentation. However, it is a bit hard to find, partly because "import" has a lot of different denotations in he Databricks environment.

So, apart from installed libraries, where does Python import statement in a notebook look for libraries?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think this might help: https://docs.databricks.com/_static/notebooks/files-in-repos.html

It's a quick explanation of the path and how to alter it in databricks.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Abishek
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @Jonas Mellin​

Can you try to run the below command from the notebook you will get the list of libraries installed in the DBR.

For example:

%sh ls -l /databricks/python3/lib/python3.8/site-packages 

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 13.49.05Also ref the docs for notebooks for python: https://docs.databricks.com/libraries/notebooks-python-libraries.html

If you still need any clarification Please let me know, I will try to explain further 🙂

Newyn
New Contributor III

That is not really what I want. What I want is to have a folder in a git repository connected to Databricks and that notebooks can search this folder or the repository for packages developed in-house. I know of the way to deploy them as wheel libraries both on clusters and in workspaces as well as how to connect them to Jobs.

It is much more convenient to be able to work in a proper IDE, then check in the change, check them out in Databricks and test them. By mistake I came across this in a project and the package was a folder in the root of the repository. When I ran tests, import found the folder in the repository. Very convenient. The tests resided in the same repository.

However, I have not fully understood or have had time to figure out how import could find this. There are numerous questions concerning this:

1. Is the import search restricted to the same repository or can it go across to other repositories?
  2. Can import of this package deployed in this way be performed from a notebook in a workspace?

I do not want to perform any ugly hacks changing sys.path inside the notebooks or the packages.

I think this might help: https://docs.databricks.com/_static/notebooks/files-in-repos.html

It's a quick explanation of the path and how to alter it in databricks.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jonas Mellin​, We haven't heard from you on the last response from @Abishek Subramanian​, and I was checking back to see if his suggestions helped you.

Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community as it can be helpful to others.

Also, please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

Newyn
New Contributor III

I have been a bit busy, but I followed up the question with a reply. Thanks for the reminder.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you, @Jonas Mellin​ , for finding time from your busy schedule for the response.

Vidula
Honored Contributor

Hi @Jonas Mellin​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.