Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

During execution of a cell "RuntimeException: The python kernel is unresponsive."

Valon98
New Contributor III

Hi all, I am running a preprocessing to create my trainset and test set. Does anyone know why during the execution my cell gives the error "RuntimeException: The python kernel is unresponsive." ? How can I solve it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

@Valerio Goretti​ we need to look at the thread dumps to understand this issue. if the repl thread running the command is blocked by the partial result fetcher thread and If this is consistent with several threads dump snapshots, it suggests that the command is streaming a lot of stuff to the result buffer, so that the partial result fetcher can take more time than normal to send them to the tree store and frontend.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Valerio Goretti​ , It's hard to know exactly why that would occur. One thing that works for me when I get strange errors is refreshing the browser. Sometimes the HTML doesn't render correctly. When that doesn't work, I try to disconnect and reattach my cluster. Once every few months, I need to restart my cluster and that always fixes things.

Valon98
New Contributor III

@Joseph Kambourakis​ Thank you for your reply. I use Databricks Community Edition so I restart the cluster every time it expires. I tried updating my browser but it keeps giving me the same problem...

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Valerio Goretti​ , Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help, or @Joseph Kambourakis​ 's response help you to find the solution? Please let us know.

Valon98
New Contributor III

Hi @Kaniz Fatma​ , unfortunately my problem persists.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Valerio Goretti​ , This article provides an overview of troubleshooting steps you can take if a notebook is unresponsive or cancels commands.

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

@Valerio Goretti​ we need to look at the thread dumps to understand this issue. if the repl thread running the command is blocked by the partial result fetcher thread and If this is consistent with several threads dump snapshots, it suggests that the command is streaming a lot of stuff to the result buffer, so that the partial result fetcher can take more time than normal to send them to the tree store and frontend.

Valon98
New Contributor III

@Prabakar Ammeappin​ Thank you!

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Valerio Goretti​, Thank you for choosing the best answer for the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there @Valerio Goretti​ 

Hope all is well!

Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Valon98
New Contributor III

Hi! I just now read @Prabakar Ammeappin​ 's reply. But that was the problem.

Hello,

I am facing same issue. What did you do to fix the problem you had. Was there any configuration change that was needed? Thank you

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.