Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JDBC Connectivity via workspace url when No Public IP selected.

Ashley1
Contributor

Hi All,

I think I might be missing something in regard to No Pubic IP Clusters. I have set this option on a workspace (Azure) and setup the appropriate subnets. To my surprise, when I went to setup a JDBC connection to the cluster the JDBC connection string uses the workspace dns which resolves to a public IP address. The connection is successful.

I would have thought to access the databricks JDBC endpoint in this configuration I would need to access via the private network. Isn't this the point of No Public Cluster? If this is the only option, to allow JDBC into the cluster via the public workspace IP, how can I limit what can access this endpoint?

Regards,

Ashley

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

User16764241763
Honored Contributor

Hello @Ashley Betts​ 

No Public IP means that the nodes/instances used in the cluster do not have a public address binding, rather only Private IP addresses. All traffic between Azure Data Plane and Databricks Control Plane will be routed through a secure ngrok relay which would otherwise require public internet access.

But the Webapp can still be accessible using public IP in this case

You have a couple of options to restrict such access

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

User16764241763
Honored Contributor

Hello @Ashley Betts​ 

No Public IP means that the nodes/instances used in the cluster do not have a public address binding, rather only Private IP addresses. All traffic between Azure Data Plane and Databricks Control Plane will be routed through a secure ngrok relay which would otherwise require public internet access.

But the Webapp can still be accessible using public IP in this case

You have a couple of options to restrict such access

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there @Ashley Betts​ 

Hope you are well. Just wanted to see if you were able to find an answer to your question and would you like to mark an answer as best? It would be really helpful for the other members too.

Cheers!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.