Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from Databricks Notebooks to IDE for Development

Raymond_Garcia
Contributor II

Hello, we are developers who have been creating a system in Databricks with Scala. We enabled the Git feature, so the project is in a repository. 

The project has a lot of notebooks and a lot of calls to other notebooks. Sometimes it is a little overwhelmed. Debugging is challenging. I miss the IDE's features. This project is in production, and we want to migrate it to an IDE. I have some questions.

What should be the best starting point for migrating this project?.

Should I create a project from scratch or use the same repository?. 

Are there best practices to move from notebooks to IDE? If so, could you please provide the link with some examples?

Are there any examples that we could use as references?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@Raymond Garcia​ , It is almost impossible to develop in IDE out of databricks as you can not debug anything.

Soon Databricks Tunnel for VS Code will be available, so it should be possible.

Thanks!

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Raymond Garcia​ , Would you mind marking the best answer for the community?

Raymond_Garcia
Contributor II

Hello @Kaniz Fatma​ We are in the process of migrating from Databricks Notebooks to IDE. if you don't mind, I will leave to ticket open to respond to my question once we finish the migration 

Raymond_Garcia
Contributor II

it is true that we can't work without data bricks but we can develop an IDE and send the jar to databricks, this will allow us to create unit tests, and use the IDE capabilities (i.e fast navigation among classes).

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.