cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimum Standard & Premium Tier Strategy

timothy_uk
New Contributor III

Hi,

I would like to deploy Databricks workspaces to build a delta lakehouse to server both scheduled jobs/processing and ad-hoc/analytical querying workloads. Databricks users comprise of both data engineers and data analysts.

In terms of requirements in addition to optimising costs, I would like to take advantage of the Premium tier's role-based access and credential passthrough, primarily to ensure our data analyst access adhere to the "principle of least privilege" aka not admins. I don't want the analysts tinkering with workspace, table and cluster objects & configurations.

On this basis, rather than a single Premium tier, is it a viable approach to setup 2x Databricks workspaces? A Standard workspace to run scheduled jobs/workflows and a Premium, more secure, workspace for the analysts to run their ad-hoc queries.

Pros

1. Scheduled jobs/workflows exclusively on the Standard SKU which is cheaper than on a Premium SKU.
  2. Separate workloads delineates billing, if we want to distinguish between data engineering and data analytical workloads

Cons

1. Slightly more operational and admin overhead in setting up and managing two workspaces as opposed to a single workspace.

Thanks

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@Timothy Lin​ , Yes, exactly what you wrote is the correct approach. Having two workspaces is the way to go. In cons, I only see that you need to automatically set a common hive meta store for both to have the same tables in both spaces. You can also request Databricks support for help in integrating two workspaces.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@Timothy Lin​ , Yes, exactly what you wrote is the correct approach. Having two workspaces is the way to go. In cons, I only see that you need to automatically set a common hive meta store for both to have the same tables in both spaces. You can also request Databricks support for help in integrating two workspaces.

timothy_uk
New Contributor III

Hi all thank you for informative answers!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.