Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there implications moving Managed Table, and mounting as External.

JohnB
New Contributor II

The scenario is "A substaincial amount of data needs to be moved from a legacy Databricks that has Managed Tables, to a new E2 Databrick. The new bucket will be a dedicated Datalake rather than the Workspace Bucket so they will be External Tables."

Using AWS I was able to move a tables '.db' folder containing the Parquet and Manifest from the old bucket to the new bucket. Because this is S3 to S3, it was fast.

I was then able to mount the previously Managed Table, as an External Table by using the follow.

%sql
CREATE TABLE external_table USING DELTA OPTIONS (path '/Datalake/migrated_table');

This seems to be a very fast way to move data between the old and new Databrick platforms. However I am keen to know if anyone has also done this, and could share if there are implications I should be aware of?

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @John Brandborg​, This is an excellent article on migrating Databricks workspaces. Please have a look and let us know if that helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there @John Brandborg​ 

Hope everything is going great!

Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.