Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How/where can I see a list of my dbfs files?

dtabass
New Contributor III

When using the Community Edition, I'm trying to find a place in the UI where I can browse the files that I've uploaded to dbfs. How/where can I do that? When I try to view them from the Data sidebar I see nothing, yet I know they're there, as if I use a %fs cell and do an ls I can see them. (And I can read them into dataframes, etc.) Help? Thx! (BTW, it's kind of annoying IMO that they are silently versioned with -1, -2, etc. name changes. My wish would be for a "replace" option when uploading.)

6 REPLIES 6

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

@Michael Careyโ€‹, The only UI I am aware of is the one in the sidebar (Data -> DBFS).

Where do you store your files? In FileStore?

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Michael Careyโ€‹ ,

You can browse and search for DBFS objects using the DBFS file browser.

Note:-

An admin user must enable the DBFS browser interface before you can use it. See Manage the DBFS file browser.

1. Click Data in the sidebar.
  2. Click the DBFS button at the top of the page.

The browser displays DBFS objects in a hierarchy of vertical swimlanes. Select an object to expand the hierarchy. Use Prefix search in any swimlane to find a DBFS object.

As an admin user, you can manage your usersโ€™ ability to browse data in the Databricks File System (DBFS) using the visual browser interface.

1. Go to the admin console.
  2. Click the Workspace Settings tab.
  3. In the Advanced section, click the DBFS File Browser toggle.
  4. Click Confirm.

This setting does not control programmatic access to the Databricks File System, for example through the DBFS command-line interface.

dtabass
New Contributor III

Thanks! I'm in the community edition so I didn't realize that some things like that would be disabled but enable-able. Found it and enabled it.

BUT NOW - I am getting (for the last 24 hours or so, independent of having enabled this) the following persistent error. Suggestions? I get this when I click on the Data browser icon on the left pane which should now be enabled.

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 9.43.02 AM

dtabass
New Contributor III

UPDATE: Tried clearing browser history and cached stuff; no change. Tried restarting Chrome, bingo. It's working now and I can browse my data files. Thx!

SUGGESTION: Enable this by default for community edition users since we are always going to be the only user and an admin user. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Michael Careyโ€‹ , I'm glad it's working now. Would you like to mark an answer as the best?

Also, Thank you for your suggestion. Please submit your idea on the ideas portal.

The Ideas Portal lets you influence the Databricks product roadmap by providing feedback directly to the product team. Use the Ideas Portal to:-

• Enter feature requests.
  • View, comment, and vote up other usersโ€™ requests.
  • Monitor the progress of your favorite ideas as the Databricks product team goes through their product planning and development process.

For a quick tutorial on submitting an idea, watch this video.

dtabass
New Contributor III

FURTHER UPDATE: I am intermittently getting that persistent error - it's definitely a bug of some sort and I need to know how to make it disappear.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.