Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while establishing JDBC connection to Azure databricks via HTTP proxy

jonasmin
New Contributor III

I am using the databricks JDBC driver (https://databricks.com/spark/jdbc-drivers-download) to connect to Azure databricks.

The connection needs to be routed through a HTTP proxy. I found parameters that can be configured for using the HTTP proxy:databricks jdbcBy passing invalid parameters I found that the parameters are parsed by the driver.

Still I see the error:

java.sql.SQLException: [Databricks][DatabricksJDBCDriver](700120) Host ....azuredatabricks.net cannot be resolved through DnsResolver com.databricks.client.jdbc.rpc.InternalDnsResolver. Error Message: No such host is known (....azuredatabricks.net)
       at com.databricks.client.jdbc.rpc.CustomDnsResolverLoader.getResolvedHost(Unknown Source)
       at com.databricks.client.hivecommon.api.HiveServer2ClientFactory.createTransport(Unknown Source)
       at com.databricks.client.spark.jdbc.DownloadableFetchClientFactory.createClient(Unknown Source)
       at com.databricks.client.hivecommon.core.HiveJDBCCommonConnection.connectToServer(Unknown Source)
       at com.databricks.client.spark.core.SparkJDBCConnection.connectToServer(Unknown Source)
       at com.databricks.client.hivecommon.core.HiveJDBCCommonConnection.establishConnection(Unknown Source)
       at com.databricks.client.spark.core.SparkJDBCConnection.establishConnection(Unknown Source)
       at com.databricks.client.jdbc.core.LoginTimeoutConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
       at com.databricks.client.jdbc.common.BaseConnectionFactory.doConnect(Unknown Source)
       at com.databricks.client.jdbc.common.AbstractDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DriverConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverConnectionFactory.java:55)
       at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:355)
       at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.BasicDataSource.validateConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:115)
       at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.BasicDataSource.createPoolableConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:665)
       at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:544)
       at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:753)
       at cloud.celonis.connector.jdbc.services.DatabaseConnectionService.lambda$getConnection$0(DatabaseConnectionService.java:47)
       at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
       at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
       at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)

So, it seems that the proxy is not used after all.

Do you have any suggestions, what to check and how to make the driver use the proxy? Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

@Jonas Minning​ the error message says there is a problem with the DNSresolver. Are you using the default DNS or a custom DNS? Suspect the issue is on the DNS resolution. It would be worth checking with your networking team. If it's a custom DNS, you can try changing it to default and check if this works.

jonasmin
New Contributor III

Thanks for your answer @Prabakar Ammeappin​ ,

the thing is that I need to use the proxy, so I would expect the Driver to connect to the proxy first, e.g. resolving the hostname of the proxy instead of the hostname of the databricks host.

User16764241763
Honored Contributor

We don't think the DNS resolution traffic will go through the Proxy first. Can you try setting below in the host file and see if it connects.

xxxxxxxxxx.azuredatabricks net <IP address>

Ultimately you have to ensure your custom DNS servers are able to resolve the host names without any issues.

Thanks for the answer @Arvind Ravish​,

We added the IP to the local host file.

Then the DNS resolver error disappeared and we got a timeout error instead.

This timeout is probably due to firewall which does not allow direct connection from our client to Azure. So, I think we still are facing the issue that the driver does not seem to use the proxy but tries a direct connection instead.

So, I was wondering which conditions need to be fulfilled for the driver to use the proxy. Do you know something around this?

Ravikant
New Contributor II

Hi @Jonas Minning​, were you able to find the solution for this issue? We are also facing similar issue.

jonasmin
New Contributor III

Hi Ravikant,

unfortunately, we have not found another solution than not using a proxy.

Best, Jonas

MS_Varma
New Contributor II

Hi @Jonas Minning​ , actually I am also having the same issue and when i looked into the driver related documentation I found that the driver currently only supports SOCKS proxies and I believe this is the reason why we are getting this error. So, I wanted to check if there are any other drivers that support HTTP proxies. If anyone has information on such JDBC driver could you please let me know?

The driver that i am currently using is DatabricksJDBC42-2.6.29

Best, Varma

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.