Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I create new jobs? ("You are not entitled to run this type of task...")

Robbie
New Contributor III

This morning I encountered an issue when trying to create a new job using the Workflows UI (in browser). Never had this issue before.

The error message that appears is:

"You are not entitled to run this type of task, please contact your Databricks administrator to learn more."

The admin at our company claims they changed nothing, so it's likely caused by a failed upgrade.

Screenshot of the problem:

Screenshot including the error message

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Philip1
New Contributor III

Hi @Robbie Capps​, thanks for reaching out.

We are aware of this situation, and the engineering team is working on a fix. The fix will come out in the next scheduled upgrade on your shard.

Impact: Non-admin UI users in the single-tenant shards will not be able to create a new job, add a task to an existing job or change the type of an existing task. This issue only affects the UI. API users are not affected and can continue to perform the aforementioned Job actions.

Workaround: Our engineering team proposes three workarounds:

1. Any non-admin user can ask an admin user to perform the tasks on their behalf.
  2. Any non-admin users can be upgraded to an admin user until the issue is fixed.
  3. The issue is happening only in UI. Hence you can use APIs to perform the mentioned tasks till the time issue is fixed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Philip1
New Contributor III

Hi @Robbie Capps​, thanks for reaching out.

We are aware of this situation, and the engineering team is working on a fix. The fix will come out in the next scheduled upgrade on your shard.

Impact: Non-admin UI users in the single-tenant shards will not be able to create a new job, add a task to an existing job or change the type of an existing task. This issue only affects the UI. API users are not affected and can continue to perform the aforementioned Job actions.

Workaround: Our engineering team proposes three workarounds:

1. Any non-admin user can ask an admin user to perform the tasks on their behalf.
  2. Any non-admin users can be upgraded to an admin user until the issue is fixed.
  3. The issue is happening only in UI. Hence you can use APIs to perform the mentioned tasks till the time issue is fixed.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Robbie Capps​  , We haven’t heard from you on the last response from @Philip Nord​, and I was checking back to see if his suggestions helped you. Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community as it can be helpful to others. Otherwise, we will respond with more details and try to help.

Robbie
New Contributor III

@Kaniz Fatma​ @Philip Nord​, thanks!

I was able to do what I needed by cloning an existing job & modifying. It's fine as a temporary fix for now.

Thanks again for the response-- good to know you're aware of it & this isn't anything on my end.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Robbie Capps​, I'm glad we could help you. Thank you for marking the best answer for us.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.