cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DeltaSharing

Phani1
Valued Contributor

Hi, Databricks team,

I created the share and provided access to the recipient, and the recipient is consuming or accessing the share. My question is who is going to bear the cost and how can we track the computation charges for it?

As per the attached data bricks delta sharing doc, the computation cost for the delta sharing is zero (zero compute cost). Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Janga Reddy​, Commercial data-sharing platforms are expensive and inflexible and promote vendor lock-in. They limit sharing to recipients on the same platform and leverage proprietary formats, thus limiting the total business value of the data.

Delta Sharing is the world’s first open protocol for securely sharing data across organizations. Delta Sharing makes it easy and cost-effective to share live data at scale across clouds, platforms, and on-premises, without compromising data security or compliance. Delta Sharing is natively integrated with the Databricks Lakehouse Platform, so you can centrally discover, manage and govern all of your shared data on one platform.

You're correct, though. It's open source.

https://databricks.com/blog/2021/05/26/introducing-delta-sharing-an-open-protocol-for-secure-data-sh...

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Janga Reddy​ , We haven’t heard from you on the last response from me, and I was checking back to see if my suggestions helped you. Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community as it can be helpful to others.

Phani1
Valued Contributor

Hi @Kaniz Fatma​ , Thanks for your response on Delta sharing information, Could you please provide details about who is going to bear the cost[either provider/Consumer] and how can we track the computation charges for it?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.