Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you manage Workspaces using Terraform on an AWS Standard Tier account.

alan_cooper
New Contributor II

Background: I am looking to migrate a small PoC Databricks workspace in Azure over to a productionised deployment in AWS.

I need to deploy all the Workspaces and all the notebooks etc code in those workspaces using a CI/CD pipeline, using Terraform to manage the infrastructure elements.

I can get this up and running using a Cloudformation-based quickstart, which adds in a new VPC, roles etc using Cloudformation Custom resources, but I am required to move this to a terraform deployment.

I have most of the Terraform deployment working as per https://registry.terraform.io/providers/databrickslabs/databricks/latest/docs/guides/aws-workspace, but I am unable to deploy the databricks_mws_networks - I've not been able to clarify what the requirement is for Premium subscription for the MWS Network piece - can anyone help?

Error: cannot create mws networks: PERMISSION_DENIED: Feature cannot be accessed. Account 15552fd5-2b5c-4506-a412-6de469xxxxxx does not have one of required pricing tier(s) PREMIUM, ENTERPRISE

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ALAN COOPER​, You need a PREMIUM subscription plan.

Databricks recommends the Premium plan, which adds audit logging, role-based access control, and many other features that give you more control over security, governance, and more.

For information about subscription plans and pricing, see the Databricks AWS pricing page.

alan_cooper
New Contributor II

Hi Kaniz,

Thanks for getting back to me - I'd really like to understand why I need Premium to use Terraform when I can deploy the same end set up manually or through Cloudformation on Standard subscription?

I do appreciate the additional functionality on Premium, but at this point in time, I don't need those features.

Regards,

Alan

Vidula
Honored Contributor

Hi @ALAN COOPER​ 

I hope all is well! I just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue would you be happy to mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.