cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create cluster error: Backend service unavailable

mbvb_py
New Contributor II

hello,

i'm new to Databricks (community edition account) and encountered a problem just now.

When creating a new cluster (default 10.4 LTS) it fails with the following error: Backend service unavailable.

I've tried a different runtime > same issue.

I've tried with a different (new) account > same issue.

I did some searching on the internet but so far unable to find a solution.

Is this a Databricks issue or am I doing something wrong?

Hope someone can help me out.

4 REPLIES 4

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

I think the CE is unavailable at the moment due to maintenance (or an issue).

There are about 5 other topics opened about the same error. So It's not you 🙂

Vidula
Honored Contributor

Hey there @Marc Bevelsborg​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

mbvb_py
New Contributor II
Apparantly there was a backend issue at the time at databricks. A bit later the issue seemed resolved and it functioned properly.

stefnhuy
New Contributor III

Hey mbvb_py,

I'm sorry to hear you're facing this "Backend service unavailable" issue with Databricks. I've encountered similar problems in the past, and it can be frustrating. Don't worry; you're not alone in this!

From my experience, this error can occur due to various reasons, but it's usually related to server-side issues or configuration problems. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot:

1. Check Service Status: Start by checking Databricks' service status page. Sometimes, they might be experiencing downtime or issues on their end, which can cause this error.

2. Network and Firewall: Ensure your network and firewall settings are not blocking Databricks' services. Sometimes, restrictive network policies can lead to connectivity problems.

3. Account Permissions: Verify that your account has the necessary permissions to create clusters. Insufficient permissions can also trigger this error.

4. Contact Support: If all else fails, don't hesitate to reach out to Databricks' support team. They are usually very helpful and can provide specific guidance based on your situation.

I hope this helps you resolve your issue.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.