Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Python databricks-sql-connector TLS issue - client tries to negotiate v1 which fails many times then randomly tries to negotiate v1.3 which works

MrT
New Contributor II

This issue is oddly only on an Azure Windows 10 VM. I Dont have this on my workstation or my personal computer so it seems to be host config related. The VM where the issue is i have a simple python script that connects to the Azure Databricks SQL endpoint and issues a query. If i run the script it can fail numerous times in a row and then randomly succeed. I did a Wireshark trace and found that the failure happened when the client tries to do a handshake with tls v1. There is no documentation on the connection about configuring the tls version and the fact that it works flawlessly on all other workstations tells me this Python Databricks Connector module is using system config somewhere to decide what version of tls to initiate a handshake with. To make things more interesting. I am using the exact same Python runtime and modules having copied the entire Python folder to the VM from a working desktop.

here is the issue captured via Wireshark

image Can anyone shed some light as to why the connector is not negotiating with tls v1.3 consistently?

https://pypi.org/project/databricks-sql-connector/

3 REPLIES 3

BilalAslamDbrx
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Wayne Theron​, I pity the user who runs into this issue (I grew up on the A-team, I couldn't resist). Let me follow on this issue and get back to you.

Vidula
Honored Contributor

Hello @Wayne Theron​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

MrT
New Contributor II

Hi

no I don't have a solution for this yet. It's an issue with the module or a dependency. It would be great dev could add the ability to set the tls version when configuing the client .

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.