cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues when trying to modify log4j.properties

digui
New Contributor

Hi y'all.

I'm trying to export metrics and logs to AWS cloudwatch, but while following their tutorial to do so, I ended up facing this error when trying to initialize my cluster with an init script they provided.

This is the part where the script fail

# configure cloudwatch agent for driver & executor
if  [  ! -z $DB_IS_DRIVER ] && [ $DB_IS_DRIVER = TRUE ] ; then
  sed -i '/^log4j.appender.publicFile.layout/ s/^/#/g' /home/ubuntu/databricks/spark/dbconf/log4j/driver/log4j.properties
  sed -i '/log4j.appender.publicFile=com.databricks.logging.RedactionRollingFileAppender/a log4j.appender.publicFile.layout=com.databricks.labs.log.appenders.JsonLayout' /home/ubuntu/databricks/spark/dbconf/log4j/driver/log4j.properties
else
   sed -i '/^log4j.appender.console.layout/ s/^/#/g' /home/ubuntu/databricks/spark/dbconf/log4j/executor/log4j.properties
   sed -i '/log4j.appender.console.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout/a log4j.appender.console.layout=com.databricks.labs.log.appenders.JsonLayout' /home/ubuntu/databricks/spark/dbconf/log4j/executor/log4j.properties
fi

This is the error:

sed: can't read /home/ubuntu/databricks/spark/dbconf/log4j/executor/log4j.properties: No such file or directory

I'm not familiar with java at all, so It's being kinda hard to understand what I should do here. Should I install log4j manually or something?

Thanks in advance!

Diego

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Diego Rodrigues​, This is a fantastic KB from Databricks on how to overwrite log4j configurations on Databricks clusters. Please look at it and let us know if that helps.

Vidula
Honored Contributor

Hi @Diego Rodrigues​ 

Does @Kaniz Fatma​  response answer your question? If yes, would you be happy to mark it as best so that other members can find the solution more quickly?

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

atulec016
New Contributor II

I am facing the same issue . error details

|+ tree /home/ubuntu/databricks/spark/dbconf | |+ cat /home/ubuntu/databricks/spark/dbconf/log4j/driver/log4j2.xml | |+ sed -i '/^log4j.appender.publicFile.layout/ s/^/#/g' /home/ubuntu/databricks/spark/dbconf/log4j/driver/log4j.properties | |sed: can't read /home/ubuntu/databricks/spark/dbconf/log4j/driver/log4j.properties: No such file or directory

Any lead would be appreciated

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.