Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to install databricks-cli on a shared laptop.

Herkimer
New Contributor II

I have a government furnished laptop (GFE). My normal user is not an admin on the laptop. I have a separate admin login on the laptop. I was able to install databricks-cli as the admin user but it installed under that users appdata python path which is not accessible by my regular user. I added the folder to the environment path variable, again as the admin user, for everyone and when I check path, as my regular user, the python folder entry is in there but I do not have read rights to the folder. Here again, my regular user WILL NOT BE ALLOWED access to the folder under my admin user tree.

Is there a combination of install qualifiers, like --root or --target, which will put the cli into a more central folder which read rights for my regular user can be granted?

My apologies if this has been addressed already in another thread. I searched for an hour and found nothing.

3 REPLIES 3

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

can you run a docker container with your regular user, because you can run it in docker:

https://github.com/databricks/databricks-cli#using-docker

There is also some installation info:

https://github.com/databricks/databricks-cli#installation

Herkimer
New Contributor II

We found a central install location which already had all of the correct install information for GFEs.

Vidula
Honored Contributor

Hey there @John Zajic​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.