Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mounting of S3 bucket via Terraform is frequently timing out

New Contributor III

Summary of the problem

When mounting an S3 bucket via Terraform the creation process is frequently timing out (running beyond 10 minutes). When I check the Log4j logs in the GP cluster I see the following error message repeated:

```

22/07/26 05:54:43 ERROR DatabricksS3LoggingUtils$:V3: S3 request failed with com.amazonaws.SdkClientException: Unable to execute HTTP request: Remote host terminated the handshake; Request ID: null, Extended Request ID: null, Cloud Provider: AWS, Instance ID: i-0af1e2435799123e0

com.amazonaws.SdkClientException: Unable to execute HTTP request: Remote host terminated the handshake

Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Remote host terminated the handshake

Caused by: java.io.EOFException: SSL peer shut down incorrectly

at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketInputRecord.read(SSLSocketInputRecord.java:481)

at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketInputRecord.readHeader(SSLSocketInputRecord.java:470)

at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketInputRecord.decode(SSLSocketInputRecord.java:160)

at sun.security.ssl.SSLTransport.decode(SSLTransport.java:110)

at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.decode(SSLSocketImpl.java:1418)

... 89 more

```

It seems like the `databricks_mount` is a flaky and works sometimes and not others.

What I've tried

• I've ensured that the instance profile role attached to the general purpose cluster nodes have the recommended policy with s3:ListBucket, s3:PutObjectAcl, s3:PutObject, s3:GetObject and s3:DeleteObject permissions.
  • I've also completely removed the bucket policy to rule out that it's the bucket policy that's blocking the access

Please let me know if you need any further details.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
1 REPLY 1

New Contributor III
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.