Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable dbutils suggestion

GC-James
Contributor II

I would like to turn off or suppress this message which is returned from the dbutils library.

%r

files <- dbutils.fs.ls("/dbfs/tmp/")

For prettier results from dbutils.fs.ls(<dir>), please use `%fs ls <dir>`

How can I do this?

6 REPLIES 6

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

@James Smith​ I dont find an option to turn off this. This is just a recommendation and you can ignore it. As your command output is redirected to files, you should have only the output in files.

GC-James
Contributor II

Hello Prabakar. Even though the command is redirected to files, the output still is printed to screen. It's very annoying. I think a ticket needs filing for this bug. There should be an option for silent = TRUE, or even better just turn this off and let people refer to the manual.Capture

Anonymous
Not applicable

@James Smith​ Whether it's a bug OR it's working as expected we like to hear this kind of feedback from our users, so thank you for reaching out!

My personal philosophy is "if a customer thinks it's a bug, it's a bug!" 🐛 I will be reporting this to the correct team. I'll update here as I learn more. Thanks again!

Jfoxyyc
Valued Contributor

Hey Lindsay, was there any thoughts on being able to suppress any of the dbutils console prints? I'm using dbutils.fs.put() inside of a threaded application just because the api is really nice to use over native abfs stuff. It writes thousands of "Wrote x bytes" to the console, which isn't value add.

Vidula
Honored Contributor

Hi @James Smith​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

I was not able to resolve this issue, and I have not been shown any solution, so I cannot mark an answer. There isn't one yet.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.