Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity catalog: separate workspace or not?

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Now that Unity Catalog is GA, I was wondering how y'all implemented it (or planning to do so) on a workspace level.

Do you create a separate 'one workspace to rule them all' with the Unity Catalog, or do you create it on an already existing workspace (PRD f.e.)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Pat
Honored Contributor III

I didn't think about it before, but it sounds interesting to have another workspace with limited access to do the administration work.

In my case I will go rather with the DEV/TEST (ws) -> PROD (ws) that we use only to develop and execute ETL pipelines.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Abishek
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello @Werner Stinckens​  Can you please refer to the below doc for UC

https://docs.databricks.com/data-governance/unity-catalog/get-started.html

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

I believe it will depend on the use case.

Pat
Honored Contributor III

Are you thinking about creating totally separate workspace just to manage Unity Catalog?

I've been playing a bit with the Unity Catalog and I am currently thinking about managing it from one of the existing workspaces. I don't think there is need for separate one, unless you have some spare once.

I am thinking about DEV and PROD Unit Catalogs and DEV one will be managed from the existing DEV workspace and PROD from the existing PROD workspace.

On one hand it sounds tempting if I got you correctly - similar to having the AWS account just for CI/CD.

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Well that is one of the options. I know it is not a technical requirement but it could be interesting.

On the other hand: We already have a workspace so why create another one...

Hence my question 🙂

Pat
Honored Contributor III

I didn't think about it before, but it sounds interesting to have another workspace with limited access to do the administration work.

In my case I will go rather with the DEV/TEST (ws) -> PROD (ws) that we use only to develop and execute ETL pipelines.

prasadvaze
Valued Contributor

@Pat Sienkiewicz​  There can be only 1 Unity Catalog metastore per azure region and if your DEV and PROD are in one region then it means all our dev and prod catalogs will be in single metastore. This also means as long as you have admin permission on databricks account and metastore , you can login to any dev or prod workspace to manage the metasore content (such as storage credentials, external locations, catalogs / schemas , grp/user permissions etc ).

@Prabakar Ammeappin​  and @Abishek Subramanian​  I wish the databricks account admin console UI had features to manage storage credentials, external locations, catalogs / schemas , grp/user permissions so that we don't have to perform metastore admin tasks from a workspace UI.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.