Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have any luck with Kafka? Any links, documents, videos that helped?

Chris_Shehu
Valued Contributor III

I'm trying to ingest streaming HL7 messages and planned to use Kafka with Smolder to achieve this. I'm having a little trouble understanding how Kafka can run on databricks. So far I've installed Kafka and started the cluster but the start command just spins forever. Am I crazy to think this should be possible? Any resources someone can share on how to accomplish this?

3 REPLIES 3

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for reaching out to community.databricks.com.

Could you please refer this for the whole architecture: https://docs.databricks.com/structured-streaming/kafka.html

And also please refer this to know how to setup Apache Kafka on Databricks: https://kb.databricks.com/en_US/streaming/kafka-setup

jose_gonzalez

Hi @Christopher Shehu​,

Just a friendly follow-up. Did you have time to check Debayan's shared docs? do you still need help? please let us know

Chris_Shehu
Valued Contributor III

@Jose Gonzalez​  Sorry for the delay. I've actually already looked at the provided links. The first one is for AWS. I'm currently using Azure. The KAFKA setup is working..I think? I'm stuck at ok so I have a server listening now what? How do I send/retrieve messages? Do I need to configure some IP settings on the compute so it works properly in Azure? What do I provide to the interface server so it can send messages to the compute?

Thanks,

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.