Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Column partitioning is not working in delta live table when `columnMapping` table property is enabled.

Vickyster
New Contributor II

I'm trying to create delta live table on top of json files placed in azure blob. The json files contains white spaces in column names instead of renaming I tried `columnMapping` table property which let me create the table with spaces but the column partitioning of column `date` created was not as expected meaning it is supposed to create partitions like `dates=2022-01-01` instead it created bunch of directories like `AA`, `AB`, `CL` ... etc and parquet files inside it.

SET `spark.sql.legacy.timeParserPolicy`=`LEGACY`

CREATE OR REFRESH STREAMING LIVE TABLE abcdata
USING DELTA
TBLPROPERTIES ("quality" = "bronze",
'delta.minReaderVersion' = '2',
'delta.minWriterVersion' = '5',
'delta.columnMapping.mode' = 'name')
LOCATION "dbfs:/mnt/abcdata"
AS SELECT
 input_file_name() AS source_file_name
FROM cloud_files("dbfs:/json/data", "json",map("cloudFiles.inferColumnTypes", "true","cloudFiles.rescuedDataColumn", "_rescued_data","cloudFiles.schemaEvolutionMode", "rescue","multiLine","true"))

CREATE OR REFRESH live table `abcdatafinal`
USING DELTA
TBLPROPERTIES ("quality" = "silver",
'delta.minReaderVersion' = '2',
'delta.minWriterVersion' = '5',
'delta.columnMapping.mode' = 'name')
LOCATION "dbfs:/mnt/abcdatafinal"
AS
select 
to_date(to_timestamp(from_unixtime(unix_timestamp(TimeStamp,'MM/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss.SSS aa'),'yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss'))) as dates
from live.abcdata;

What am I doing wrong here ?

Also the first streaming live table was not at all partitioned but the table path contains directories like I said above.

Thanks in Advance!

0 REPLIES 0
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.