Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I fix strange magic command behaviour in Databricks notebooks?

jowziph
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have encountered a strange issue when using magic commands on my Azure Databricks workspace.

When I create a cell and type the magic command for a language which is not default in the notebook, the code is instead interpreted as the default notebook language.

Here you can see a notebook with python as the default language, with a sql magic command:

magic command manually typedmagic command manually typed 2And here, the same notebook. But with python code written in the cell.

However, if I create a cell at the end of the notebook (not in between existing cells). And then set the language to SQL using this button, the code will be correctly interpreted as SQL.

This issue first arose this week on Monday the 26th of September. It has broken a lot of my existing notebooks which use "%sql".

I have tried restarting my cluster, creating a new cluster, creating a new notebook, and changing my notebook default language. But none of these have fixed the issue.

Thanks,

Joe

2 REPLIES 2

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, Is this happening when magic command is used in between two cells of the default language?

You can override the default language in a cell by clicking the language button and selecting a language from the dropdown menu. Alternately, you can use the language magic command %<language> at the beginning of a cell. The supported magic commands are: %python , %r , %scala , and %sql .

jowziph
New Contributor III

Hi,

Yeah this is happening when magic command is used in between two cells of the default language. But this is not the only case.

This is happening when magic command is manually typed out (e.g. %sql or %scala in a python notebook). OR when magic command is selected from the language button and the cell is not a brand new cell at the bottom of the notebook.

The issue is making it difficult for me to develop multi language notebooks.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.