Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insert into a table with an identity column fails

nbakh
New Contributor II

i am trying to insert into a table with an identity column using a select query.

However, if i include the identity column or ignore the identity column in my insert it throws errors. Is thee a way to insert into select * from a table if the insert table has an identity column?

%sql

CREATE OR REPLACE TABLE demo (

id BIGINT GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY,

product_type STRING,

sales BIGINT

);

%sql

insert into demo_test

SELECT id,product_type, sales from demo

AnalysisException: Providing values for GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY column id is not supported.

%sql

insert into demo_test

SELECT product_type, sales from demo

nalysisException: Cannot write to 'spark_catalog.default.demo_test', not enough data columns; target table has 3 column(s) but the inserted data has 2 column(s)

4 REPLIES 4

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, Looks like it is not supported.

Please refer: https://github.com/delta-io/delta/issues/1215

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @nauman bakhrani​​, We haven’t heard from you since the last response from @Debayan Mukherjee​ , and I was checking back to see if you have a resolution yet.

If you have any solution, please share it with the community, as it can be helpful to others. Otherwise, we will respond with more details and try to help.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

instead of using

GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY,

you need to use

GENERATED BY DEFAULT AS IDENTITY

karan_singh
New Contributor II

Hi, 

Specify insert columns as below

%sql
INSERT INTO demo_test (product_type, sales)
SELECT product_type, sales FROM demo

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.