Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use %run or dbutils.notebook.run in a Delta Live Table pipeline?

J_M_W
Contributor

Hi there,

Can you use a %run or dbutils.notebook.run() in a Delta Live Table (DLT) pipeline?

When I try, I get the following error: "IllegalArgumentException: requirement failed: To enable notebook workflows, please upgrade your Databricks subscription"

Essentially, I would like to have one notebook in the DLT pipeline that calls another notebook. The other "called" notebook creates a Delta Live Table.

For example...

The "caller" notebook, which will be attached to the DLT Pipeline, would look something like this...

dbutils.notebook.run('dlt_test_notebook', 3600)

And the notebook which will be "called" looks something like this...

import dlt

@dlt.table(name = 'test')

def f():

# create dataframe
    df = spark.sql(query) 

return df

Any help is much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_M_W
Contributor

Hi all.

@Kaniz Fatma​ thanks for your answer. I am on the premium pricing tier in Azure.

After digging around the logs it would seem that you cannot run magic commands in a Delta Live Table pipeline. Therefore, you cannot use %run in a DLT pipeline - which is a shame 😞

Hope this helps someone else who is struggling with this!

Thanks, JMW

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @James Winfield​,

This article describes how to use Databricks notebooks to code complex workflows that use modular code, linked or embedded notebooks, and if-then-else logic.

Databricks has multiple pricing plans. If your current plan is no longer meeting all of your organization’s needs, you can upgrade to a higher-tier plan. The instructions for upgrading your account are different for pay-as-you-go and contract accounts.

Are you on Community Edition?

J_M_W
Contributor

Hi all.

@Kaniz Fatma​ thanks for your answer. I am on the premium pricing tier in Azure.

After digging around the logs it would seem that you cannot run magic commands in a Delta Live Table pipeline. Therefore, you cannot use %run in a DLT pipeline - which is a shame 😞

Hope this helps someone else who is struggling with this!

Thanks, JMW

Does that mean you can run dbutils command?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.