Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Databricks on AWS cluster start time less than 5 mins and EMR cluster start time is 15 mins?

gud4eve
New Contributor III

We are migrating from AWS EMR to Databricks. One thing that we have noticed during the POCs is that Databricks cluster of same size and instance type takes much lesser time to start compared to EMR.

My understanding is Databricks also would be requesting instances from same AWS pool as EMR would do. Then why AWS's own service (EMR) is slow in getting the clusters up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

I hear about trying to improve starting time at conferences for two years, so it is something like a never-ending story. Pools and serverless pools will offer further improvements. Recommended instance types are also usually better, as databricks is working with vendors on that. Additionally, I heard that GCC is now the fastest to start vms/cluster. For me, big improvements with deployment time would be that pools would have preinstalled libraries (instead of setting them on cluster level).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Suppose the worker provisioning is identical between EMR and Databricks (I think they are the same, but am not certain), it is very possible that installing EMR on a cluster takes more time than installing Databricks. Databricks has worked hard to get their nodes up and running as fast as possible, perhaps Amazon did not do such a thing.

gud4eve
New Contributor III

yes that's my assumption too. But do we have any documentation by Databricks stating that?

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

I hear about trying to improve starting time at conferences for two years, so it is something like a never-ending story. Pools and serverless pools will offer further improvements. Recommended instance types are also usually better, as databricks is working with vendors on that. Additionally, I heard that GCC is now the fastest to start vms/cluster. For me, big improvements with deployment time would be that pools would have preinstalled libraries (instead of setting them on cluster level).

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@gud4eve​ what kind of cluster you are using, have you configured pools. if not as @Werner Stinckens​ said there might be chance Databricks worked hard to get provisioning of instances in faster way

gud4eve
New Contributor III

No we haven't configured pools

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.