Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks is automatically creating a _apply_changes_storage table in the database when using apply_changes for Delta Live Tables

J_M_W
Contributor

Hi there,

I am using apply_changes (aka. Delta Live Tables Change Data Capture) and it works fine. However, it seems to automatically create a secondary table in the database metastore called _apply_storage_changes_{tableName}

So for every table I use apply_changes with I get two tables. For example, if I create a table called item_prices_history, I will get two tables in the database...

1) item_prices_history

2) _apply_storage_changes_item_prices_history

This is an issue because Power BI users are getting confused about the purpose of these tables. Ideally the _apply_changes_storage_{tableName} would not reside in the database.

Here are the tables in Power BI:

imageIs there a way to stop the tables prefixed with _apply_changes_storage being created when using apply_changes?

Please note, I am using Azure Premium pricing tier (PySpark)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

A workaround could be to disable access to that table to the user who is connecting.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

A workaround could be to disable access to that table to the user who is connecting.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @James Winfield​​, We haven’t heard from you since the last response from @Hubert Dudek​, and I was checking back to see if you have a resolution yet.

If you have any solution, please share it with the community as it can be helpful to others. Otherwise, we will respond with more details and try to help.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

J_M_W
Contributor

Hi - Thanks @Hubert Dudek​ I will look into disabling access for the users!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.