Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to know why CROSS JOIN fails recognize columns

Carlton
New Contributor III

Whenever I apply a CROSS JOIN to my Databricks SQL query I get a message letting me know that a column does not exists, but I'm not sure if the issue is with the CROSS JOIN.

For example, the code should identify characters such as http, https, ://, / and remove those characters and add the results to a column called websiteurl without the characters aforemention. i.e.

imageThe code is a follows:

SELECT  tt.homepage_url
        ,websiteurl = LEFT(v1.RightString,COALESCE(NULLIF(CHARINDEX('/',v1.RightString)-1,-1),150))
   FROM basecrmcbreport.organizations tt
  CROSS join (VALUES(SUBSTRING(homepage_url,CHARINDEX('//',homepage_url)+2,150)))v1(RightString)

However, the above returns the following:

Error in SQL statement: AnalysisException: Column 'homepage_url' does not exist. Did you mean one of the following? []; line 4 pos 31;
'Project ['tt.homepage_url, unresolvedalias(('websiteurl = 'LEFT('v1.RightString, 'COALESCE('NULLIF(('CHARINDEX(/, 'v1.RightString) - 1), -1), 150))), None)]
+- 'Join Cross
   :- SubqueryAlias tt
   :  +- SubqueryAlias spark_catalog.basecrmcbreport.organizations
   :     +- Relation basecrmcbreport.organizations[uuid#2439,name#2440,type#2441,permalink#2442,cb_url#2443,rank#2444,created_at#2445,updated_at#2446,legal_name#2447,roles#2448,domain#2449,homepage_url#2450,country_code#2451,state_code#2452,region#2453,city#2454,address#2455,postal_code#2456,status#2457,short_description#2458,category_list#2459,category_groups_list#2460,num_funding_rounds#2461,total_funding_usd#2462,... 22 more fields] parquet
   +- 'SubqueryAlias v1
      +- 'UnresolvedSubqueryColumnAliases [RightString]
         +- 'UnresolvedInlineTable [col1], [['SUBSTRING('homepage_url, ('CHARINDEX(//, 'homepage_url) + 2), 150)]]

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

The underscore in the column name might be problematic, so try to put the column name in back ticks like `homepage_url`.

Would it be easier to use a regexp_extract https://docs.databricks.com/sql/language-manual/functions/regexp_extract.html instead of a cross join?

Carlton
New Contributor III

Hi Joesphk,

Thanks for reaching out.

I tried your suggestion with the back ticks, however, I'm still getting the same error

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

I think you can achieve it without CROSS JOIN.

Please check your query step by step so you will find error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @CARLTON PATTERSON​ 

Hope all is well!

Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Shalabh007
Honored Contributor

@CARLTON PATTERSON​ 

Since you have given an alias "tt" to your table "basecrmcbreport.organizations", to access corresponding columns you will have to access them in format tt.<column_name>

in your code in line #4, try accessing the column 'homepage_url' along with table alias.

Example: "tt.homepage_url"

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.