Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it reasonable for the process "Determining the location of DBIO file fragments." to take me 7 hours?

Dicer
Valued Contributor

I only have 1000 columns. Each column has 252 rows, so there are only 252000 data points.

How come it can route tasks for the best-cached locality for 7 hours?

5 REPLIES 5

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Cheuk Hin Christophe Poon​, Can you please run this command and check again?

%sql Optimize [table name]

Dicer
Valued Contributor

I tried the following one and it still took more than 10 hours until Fatal error: The Python kernel is unresponsive.

%sql

--Enable Auto Optimization
set spark.databricks.delta.properties.defaults.autoOptimize.optimizeWrite = true;
set spark.databricks.delta.properties.defaults.autoOptimize.autoCompact = true;

Dicer
Valued Contributor

@Kaniz Fatma​ Is there any way to shorten the process "Determining the location of DBIO file fragments." runtime?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Cheuk Hin Christophe Poon​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Noopur_Nigam
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Hi @Cheuk Hin Christophe Poon​ have you optimize your table anytime since it's creation? If not, then optimize may take some time depending on the no of underlying files.

Please try to run optimize manually as described in below document:

https://docs.databricks.com/sql/language-manual/delta-optimize.html

If this doesn't help, you can try disabling DBIO cache by setting below in your notebook:

spark.conf.set("spark.databricks.io.cache.enabled", "false")

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.