Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Python mocking dbutils in unittests

confused_dev
New Contributor II

I am trying to write some unittests using pytest, but I am coming accross the problem of how to mock my dbutils method when dbutils isn't being defined in my notebook.

Is there a way to do this so that I can unit test individual functions that are utilizing dbutils?

3 REPLIES 3

fermin_vicente
New Contributor III

Hi,

You can mock dbutils. An easy way to do it is to:

• Try to receive dbutils as a parameter in your functions (inject it) instead of using it globally. This way your code is more testable and you won't to do patching which is a bit more cumbersome.
  • Use a mock library. Unittest.mock is the simplest approach
  • Call your function passing down a mock instead of the actual dbutils

Example:

• your library under test
def my_function(dbutils):
   dbutils.fs.ls("/tmp")  # this is using the local variable received by parameter
  • your notebook
from my_library import my_function

my_function(dbutils)  # this refers to the global dbutils variable
  • your test
from unittest.mock import MagicMock

from my_library import my_function

def test_my_function_calls_dbutils():
   mock_dbutils = MagicMock()

my_function(dbutils=mock_dbutils)

mock_dbutils.fs.ls.assert_called_once_with("/tmp")

xiangzhu
Contributor

above reponse is a pure mock, and below is another example from dbx about a fixture with local filesystem, you can also add mock on dbutils.secrets:

https://github.com/databrickslabs/dbx/blob/b2989213b5f67e2b7ccf8adeba97da70e88ffff2/dbx/templates/pr...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jake P​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.