Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All-purpose clusters not remembering custom tags

alejandrofm
Valued Contributor

Hi, we have several clusters used with Notebooks, we don't delete them, just start-stop according to the "minutes of inactivity" set.

I'm trying to set a custom tag, so I wait until the cluster shuts down, add a tag, check that the tag is among then "Automatically added tasks" and save.

When the cluster starts again, the tag gets deleted, don't see it anymore.

Any idea of what can be happening here?

Thanks!!

10 REPLIES 10

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@Alejandro Martinez​ tags are only to label your aws resources/azure to drill down cost. there are no limitations for all purpose clusters that tags will get disappeared. please make sure you are not editing default tags and remaining everything will work as expected

I'm adding it on Tags and on saving it appears on Automatically added, and then it disappears. Am I ok? Thanks!imageimage

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alejandro Martinez​  - you have to hit the add button next to tag .this will ensure tag is added to cluster definition and will get apply on next restart

Yes, I click ADD, save, and enter again to cluster details and it appears on "Automatically added tags" on cluster reboot it disappears

Any idea?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Alejandro Martinez​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Not solved yet 😞 Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tags are only to label your aws resources/azure to drill down cost. there are no limitations for all purpose clusters that tags will get disappeared. please make sure you are not editing default tags and remaining everything will work as expected

Srihasa_Akepati
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

@Alejandro Martinez​ Can you provide more information which can help us to understand the issue better? What kind of cluster are you using?

Did setting tags ever for you?

Does event log of the cluster show the custom tags updated for the edited event?

Is it possible to send screenshot of the whole cluster page after adding/saving tags and starting the cluster?

xhudik
New Contributor II

In my case, custom tags disappeared when I changed Compute mode from `Multi node` to `Single node`
xhudik_0-1701354865452.png
Yes, there was a warning: "When you change the compute mode you lose all settings except the compute name and Databricks runtime version. Are you sure you want to continue?"

But I do not understand why settings has to be deleted (e.g. custom tags have nothing to do with Compute mode so I'd love to keep them)

Dribka
New Contributor III

@alejandrofm the behavior you're describing, where the custom tag disappears after the cluster restarts, might be related to the cluster configuration or the specific settings of your Databricks environment. To troubleshoot this, ensure that the custom tag is being applied correctly before the cluster shuts down and that it aligns with any specified naming conventions or restrictions. Additionally, review the cluster start-up process to check if there's any step that might be inadvertently removing custom tags.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.