Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can Delta table protocol version be downgraded from higher version to lower version the table properties minReader from 2 to 1 and MaxWriter from 5 to 3.

Yaswanth
New Contributor III

Is there a possibility to downgrade the Delta Table protocol versions minReader from 2 to 1 and maxWriter from 5 to 3? I have set the TBL properties to 2 and 5 and columnmapping mode to rename the columns in the DeltaTable but the other users are reading this delta table with Databricks runtime 7.3 and getting the error "com.databricks.sql.transaction.tahoe.ColumnMappingUnsupportedException:". they cannot upgrade the Databricks runtime to 10.4. i'm trying to reset the tblproperties it is not happening

Is there a possibility to revert back to version to previous version? and how? or any other solution to handle this problem?

Looking for a solution to the problem please any inputs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

youssefmrini
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

Unfortunately You can't downgrade the version. it's an irreversible operation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Yaswanth velkur​ , Protocol version upgrades are irreversible, and upgrading the protocol version may break the existing Delta Lake table readers, writers, or both.

Therefore, we recommend you upgrade specific tables only when needed, such as to opt-in to new features in Delta Lake.

You should also check to ensure that your current and future production tools support Delta Lake tables with the new protocol version.

Source

Yaswanth
New Contributor III

Hi Kaniz Fatma, Yes you are correct.. what is the solution here now.. apart from upgrading the database runtime.. Can I restore the table version to previous one? Or I need to drop the delta table and are create the new one?

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Yaswanth velkur​, Protocol version upgrades are irreversible. You cannot restore the table version to previous one.

youssefmrini
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

Unfortunately You can't downgrade the version. it's an irreversible operation.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Yaswanth velkur, We haven’t heard from you since the last response from @Youssef Mrini​ and me​​, and I was checking back to see if our suggestions helped you.

Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community, as it can be helpful to others.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.