Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity Catalog & Delta Lake

Tram
New Contributor III

In setting up Databricks accounnt, we need to provide storage (s3 buckets) to store the final cleaned data or aggregated data. If the Unity Catalog is enabled at the beginning of account set up, we'd need to to provide S3 buckets again to store the metedata. My question: can it be one S3 bucket for final cleaned data and the Unity Catalog, or do they need to be separate s3 buckets?

3 REPLIES 3

Pat
Honored Contributor III

HI @Tram Nguyen​ ,

I am not sure if I got this correctly but I believe you are referring to the:

• Root storage for a workspace: Root storage for workspace objects like cluster logs, notebook revisions, and job results libraries (https://docs.databricks.com/administration-guide/account-api/aws-storage.html#configure-aws-storage)
  • Metastore storage: Each metastore is configured with a root storage location in an S3 bucket in your AWS account. This storage location is used for metadata and managed tables data.(https://docs.databricks.com/data-governance/unity-catalog/index.html#metastores)

It's not recommended to re-use the workspace s3 bucket for metastore.

thanks,

Pat.

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@Tram Nguyen​ above pat provided links will have clear information. but to provide overview

1. account s3 bucket should be different
  2. unity catalog s3 bucket should be different (Meta store in technical terms)

unity catalog bucket should be configured in same region of your account, so that no network Issues will be seen. multiple workspaces in that account can use same unity catalog metastore (which is s3 bucket)

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Tram Nguyen​, We haven’t heard from you since the last response from @Pat Sienkiewicz​ and @karthik p​​, and I was checking back to see if their suggestions helped you.

Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community, as it can be helpful to others.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.