Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade tables to Unity Catalog error (Azure)

J_M_W
Contributor

Hi all,

I have set up a Unity Catalog (UC), and I am attempting to "upgrade my Delta tables" in the hive_metastore to my new catalog.

I have followed the instructions here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/data-governance/unity-catalog/migrate

I have set up a Access Connector and configured external locations in the UC.

I am getting the following error when using the "Upgrade Wizard" - any ideas how to resolve this issue?

imageAs I understand it, when I click "Run the upgrade" the wizard runs this SQL query

-- Note: removed the names of the databases and tables for privacy
-- Upgrade hive_metastore.db.tblto cat.db.tbl
CREATE TABLE cat.db.tbl LIKE hive_metastore.db.tbl COPY LOCATION;
ALTER TABLE hive_metastore.db.tbl SET TBLPROPERTIES ('upgraded_to' = 'cat.db.tbl');

From this post on Stack Overflow it would seem that delta tables are not supported with the LIKE sql command.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_M_W
Contributor

FYI - this is now magically resolved. I'm guessing it was a temporary bug or something.​

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

J_M_W
Contributor

I am also getting this strange error when using the data explorer...

It looks like it using 4 name parts, not 3 ??

image.pngimage 

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@James Winfield​ it should be 3 level namespaces, catalog name cannot be hive_metastore

eg:CREATE TABLE <catalog_name>.<schema_name>.<table_name>

J_M_W
Contributor

FYI - this is now magically resolved. I'm guessing it was a temporary bug or something.​

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.