cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Azure Databricks Connectivity with Power BI Cloud - Firewall Whitelisting

rohit8491
New Contributor III

Hi Support Team

We want to connect to tables in Azure Databricks via Power BI. We are able to connect this via Power BI Desktop but when we try to Publish the same, we can see the dataset associated does not refresh and throws error from Powerbi.com

It seems it is down to firewall settings configured at Azure Dababricks side which prevent any Public IPs to access the same. Our network support team has asked us to provide a dedicated IP address or range which will be used by Power BI cloud to connect against Azure Databricks so that they can whitelist the same.

Could you please suggest how we can provide dedicated IPs here or other potential solution here. 

I did try to get VNet configured followed by creating a VNet gateway on the Power BI side and IP range for the subnet provided to Azure Databricks teams but it does not seem to solve the issue as we can see the dataset says either gateway or datasource not configured properly when try to map the same.

Could you please suggest the best solution on how we can solve this issue or if there is any particular configuration which you think could have made an impact here?

4 REPLIES 4

NOOR_BASHASHAIK
Contributor

Hi Rohit,

What is the error message you get?

Also, on a side note, after you publish the report to PowerBI service, do you change the data source credentials to a service principal or a tech user? I am curious to know the best practice here i.e. develop reports in desktop using individual user ids, publish and change credentials to point to those of an Azure Databricks Service principal (or a tech user, that has got READ access on the delta tables/views). If there is a need to see which user is exploring the data, then provide "Direct Query/Live Connection" capability so the users are authenticated in Databricks (else, the service principal or tech user will run the SQLs to Databricks)

Hi @Rohit Kumar​, We haven’t heard from you since the last response from @NOOR BASHA SHAIK​, and I was checking back to see if his suggestions helped you.

Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community, as it can be helpful to others.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

rohit8491
New Contributor III

Hi Noor

Thank you soo much for your response. Please see the below details for the error message. I just got to know that Power BI are Azure Databricks are in different tenants.

Do you think it causes any issues? Do we need VNet peering to be configured here or something?

Data source error: {"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ThriftExtension] (14) Unexpected response from server during a HTTP connection: connect() failed: errno = 10060."}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourceKind","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Databricks"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourcePath","detail":{"type":1,"value":"{\"host\":\"adb-4609280326114182.2.azuredatabricks.net\",\"httpPath\":\"sql\\/protocolv1\\/o\\/4609280326114182\\/0329-131219-cud774\"}"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.OdbcErrors","detail":{"type":1,"value":"#table({\"SQLState\", \"NativeError\", \"Message\"}, {})"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason","detail":{"type":1,"value":"DataSource.Error"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: f_mpo_order_commission_tax.

Cluster URI: WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-H-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Activity ID: 8a6083b4-16af-4329-8128-98d44c84f2d0

Request ID: ff73bfaa-2bf0-0765-1ca5-eb0dde3b2059

Time: 2022-11-21 10:14:29Z

jmartin00
New Contributor III

I'm getting the same error, did you ever find a solution to this?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.