Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I run a streaming query on a new table with tbl property: change data feed enabled?

nimble
New Contributor

In Databricks on AWS, I am trying to run a streaming query (trigger=Once) with delta.enableChangeDataFeed=true in the table definition as instructed, but this always fails with :

ERROR: Some streams terminated before this command could finish!

com.databricks.sql.transaction.tahoe.DeltaAnalysisException: Error getting change data for range [0 , 0] as change data was not recorded for version [0]. If you\'ve enabled change data feed on this table, use `DESCRIBE HISTORY` to see when it was first enabled.
Otherwise, to start recording change data, use `ALTER TABLE table_name SET TBLPROPERTIES
(delta.enableChangeDataFeed=true)`.

I tried:

• removing checkpoints for streaming query
  • recreating the table
  • adding "spark.databricks.delta.properties.defaults.enableChangeDataFeed": "true" to spark_conf of the compute

None of those fixed the issue. This is quite puzzling as this setting works for other tables.

2 REPLIES 2

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

What is precisely recreating a table? Maybe delta files are in the old version, which is not supporting CDC. Please also share your code.

Please first just read CDC not as a stream but as SELECT * FROM table_changes(table)

swethaNandan
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi @daniel e​ 

Can you try running the select command on table changes from 0th version and see if you get output?

SELECT * FROM table_changes('tableName', 0)

Also, Please share the streaming query that you are running.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.