Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read a sql notebook in python notebook on workspace

NavyaD
New Contributor III

I have a notebook named ecom_sellout.sql under the path notebooks/python/dataloader/queries.

I have another notebook(named dataloader under the path notebooks/python/dataloader) in which I am calling this sql notebook.

My code runs perfectly fine on repo, however I would like to run it in workspace & schedule the jobs through workspace notebooks

I am sharing the piece of code here

def query_database_with_params(self, path: str, table_name: str, **kwargs) -> DataFrame:

"""

Load a SQL statement from a file and query the dataset in spark, specifying table name and 

country to filter the table

Args:

path (str): String specifying the location of the SQL statement

table_name (str): String specifying the name of the table

**kwargs: Arguments which store strings to fill the parameters oft the sql file

Returns:

Pyspark Dataframe: Use parameterized SQL to load dataframe into spark

"""

with open(path, 'r') as f:

query = f.read()

query = query.format(table_name=table_name, **kwargs)

return self.spark.sql(query)

The function is failing to open the path & says that the file or directory doesn't exist

imageHowever in the same location the file is present.

Can someone please explain how to read a sql file on databricks workspace

2 REPLIES 2

Aviral-Bhardwaj
Esteemed Contributor III

use magic commands and other hand you can use python and SQL formatted there. It will work

The function is under a class & Can you please give a brief explanation on how I can use magic commands, also what do you mean by python & sql formater.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.