Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equivalent Machine Types between Databricks on Azure and GCP

ranged_coop
Valued Contributor II

Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing well.

We are currently validating Databricks on GCP and Azure.

We have a python notebook that does some ETL (Copy, extract zip files and process files within the zip files)

Our Cluster Config on Azure

DBX Runtime - 10.4 - Driver - Standard DS4_v2 , Worker - Standard D8_v3 (4 Workers). (40 cores 156GB)

We tried similar Config on GCP

DBX Runtime - 11.3 - Driver - n2-highmem-4 , Worker - n2-standard-8 (4 Workers). (36 cores 160GB)

For same notebook with minor path changes, the runtimes seem to be very high in GCP compared to Azure - 1h increased to 3h

Since the notebook has not changed by much - maybe split of large functions into smaller ones and path changes, I was wondering if it might be due to the runtime change and the machine type.

1. Is there any documented slow downs in DBX Runtime 11.3 compared to 10.4 ?
  2. Is there a table mapping equivalent machine types between Azure and GCP ? Google search shows similar groupings i.e. Compute Optimized in Azure vs Compute Optimized in GCP, but no one to one mapping.
  3. Does splitting a single function into multiple function cause such a huge difference in runtime ?

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers...

2 REPLIES 2

tunstila
Contributor II

Hi, @range_coop,

you might want to refer to the link below:

https://docs.databricks.com/release-notes/runtime/releases.html

ranged_coop
Valued Contributor II

hi @Tunde Abib​ , I have gone through the links while updating, but did not see any major documented slow downs mentioned in them. 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.