Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set and use variables in DLT pipeline notebooks

kskistad
New Contributor III

Using DLT, I have two streaming sources coming from autoloader. Source1 contains a single row of data in the file and Source2 has thousands of rows. There is a common key column between the two sources to join them together. So far, so good.

I have a function that does a lookup in a CosmosDB database for an item. This function takes an ItemId as a parameter. I use the return value as a filter in a later step in my pipeline. I can hard-code an ItemId in this function and the pipeline runs without issues and pulls back the proper data from Cosmos and filters the DLT table correctly. However, I don't want to hard-code the ItemId but get it's value from Source1 after a file lands. Source1 will always only contain 1 row per file and the ItemId is a column in that row.

I have tried something like this:

ItemId = spark.sql("SELECT ItemId from STREAM(LIVE.Source1)")
FilterInfo = LookupInCosmosdb(ItemId)

... but that doesn't work. I've tried several other things and none have worked.

How can I:

1. Set a variable from a DLT streaming table
  2. Use that variable in another DLT table as a filter clause
  3. OR, use a sub-select directly in the WHERE clause of Source2 like this:
    1. SELECT * FROM Source2 WHERE Source2.ItemId IN (SELECT LookupInCosmosdb(Source1.KeyCol) FROM Source1)
0 REPLIES 0
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.