Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDF function while registering- PicklingError

databricks_amit
New Contributor

PicklingError: Could not serialize object: Exception: It appears that you are attempting to reference SparkContext from a broadcast variable, action, or transformation. SparkContext can only be used on the driver, not in code that it run on workers.

I am trying to write a function in Azure databricks. I would like to spark.sql inside the function. But it looks like I cannot use it with worker nodes.

1. def SEL_ID(value, index):
  2. # some processing on value here
  3. ans = spark.sql("SELECT id FROM table WHERE bin = index")
  4. return ans
  5. spark.udf.register("SEL_ID", SEL_ID)

I am getting the following error:

PicklingError: Could not serialize object: Exception: It appears that you are attempting to reference SparkContext from a broadcast variable, action, or transformation. SparkContext can only be used on the driver, not in code that it run on workers. For more information, see SPARK-5063.

Is there any way I can overcome this? I am using the above function to select from another table.

0 REPLIES 0
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.