cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why java is no included in notebooks

db-avengers2rul
Contributor II

Hi All,

is there any way to use java in notebook ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Java isn't really a language that is built for interaction and there is no notebook kernel for it. You can add a JAR to a workspace and run it, but not a notebook.

A notebook can have scala. You can make it the default language of the notebook or put %scala at the top of the cell.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

db-avengers2rul
Contributor II

i mean adding jars and practice scala inside the notebook ?

how to import jars in notebook ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Java isn't really a language that is built for interaction and there is no notebook kernel for it. You can add a JAR to a workspace and run it, but not a notebook.

A notebook can have scala. You can make it the default language of the notebook or put %scala at the top of the cell.

AyanDutta
New Contributor II

Java 9 onwards there is a good support on REPL .I really find it hard to understand why still Java notebooks are not supported yet .

Meghala
Valued Contributor II

Thank you for this ans​

labtech
Valued Contributor II

From my understand, Java isn't a built-in language for notebook.

Aviral-Bhardwaj
Esteemed Contributor III

yes spark-submit in jar will work,it is available in the jobs/workflow section in the databricks

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.