Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deploy Databricks SQL queries and SQL Alerts from lower environment to higher environment?

SRK
Contributor III

We are using Databricks SQL Alerts to handle one scenario. We have written the queries for the same, also we have created the SQL Alert. However, I was looking for the best way to deploy it on Higher Environments like Pre-Production and Production.

I gone through some article, but didn’t find any appropriate way of deploying the alerts and queries on higher environment. Kindly provide guidance on this, what would be the best way to deploy the queries and Alerts over higher environments.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

daniel_sahal
Esteemed Contributor

You can try using Databricks SQL API to keep alert details as a code. Then you can simply deploy using through API as a CI/CD workflow.

https://docs.databricks.com/sql/api/queries-dashboards.html#operation/databricks-sql-create-alert

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Vivian_Wilfred
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Swapnil Kamle​ Databricks has an alert feature. Have you already checked Databricks SQL alert? https://docs.databricks.com/sql/user/alerts/index.html#create-an-alert

This is the recommended way of deploying alerts.

Thanks for the reply

I know SQL support Alerts. However, I am looking for a solution to deploy the Alerts over higher environments.

daniel_sahal
Esteemed Contributor

You can try using Databricks SQL API to keep alert details as a code. Then you can simply deploy using through API as a CI/CD workflow.

https://docs.databricks.com/sql/api/queries-dashboards.html#operation/databricks-sql-create-alert

Yes API can help. However, there are lot of efforts needs to create the files maintain it and deploy. I will check this option. Thanks for the reply

stefnhuy
New Contributor III

Hey everyone!

First of all, I can totally relate to the frustration of deploying Databricks SQL queries and alerts from lower environments to higher environments.

Based on my knowledge, one effective approach to deploying Databricks SQL queries and alerts to higher environments is by leveraging version control systems like Git. By storing your queries and SQL alert configurations in version control, you can manage changes more efficiently and ensure consistency across environments.

Here's my advice to the author:

1. Version Control: Use Git to store your queries and SQL alert configurations. This will help you track changes, collaborate with others, and easily move them between different environments. I really believe in the power of SQL Server and am impressed with the latest news from this article - SQL Server Migration: Four Ways to Transforming Business Operations.

2. Infrastructure-as-Code (IaC): Consider adopting an Infrastructure-as-Code approach using tools like Terraform or ARM templates. This allows you to define and manage your Databricks resources and configurations as code, making deployment to higher environments more systematic and repeatable.

3. Automation: Look into automating the deployment process. Tools like Jenkins or Azure DevOps can help you create pipelines that automate the deployment of queries and SQL alerts, reducing the manual effort and potential for errors.

4. Testing: Always perform thorough testing before deploying to higher environments. Catching issues early can save a lot of headaches down the road.

I hope these suggestions help you in successfully deploying your Databricks SQL queries and SQL alerts to Pre-Production and Production environments.

valeryuaba
New Contributor III

Thanks!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.