Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no information on character_maximum_length and is_identity in unity catalog table system.information_schema.columns

lizou
Contributor II

no information on character_maximum_length and is_identity in unity catalog table system.information_schema.columns

table definition example

CREATE TABLE tyable_name (

UniqueID bigint not null GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY , 

ID varchar(256)

)

looks like the columns table only has basic info such as data type

-- query column info

select *

from system.information_schema.columns

where table_name ='<table>' and table_catalog ='<catalog>'

6 REPLIES 6

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

Could you please confirm on the issue here? Also, for reference: https://docs.databricks.com/data-governance/unity-catalog/migrate.html

, please let us know if this helps.

lizou
Contributor II

yes, I created a new managed table in the unity catalog, and the issues remain.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

I confirm I have the same issue with the unity catalog: schema tables are missing some information, or they are incorrect. @Prabakar Ammeappin​ @Kaniz Fatma​ @Sujitha Ramamoorthy​ maybe we can escalate to someone from Unity team

image.png

lizou
Contributor II

another issue is if a column is defined as varchar(50) as example

once a data is loaded, the full_data_type is changed to string. I tested multiple times, and looks like that's also an issue

before

imageafter data loaded with a insert statement

full_data_type is changed

imageselect column_name, full_data_type, data_type, character_maximum_length, ordinal_position, *

from system.information_schema.columns

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@Werner Stinckens​ @Christy Seto​ @Jose Gonzalez​ can you help with that issue? It is a really interesting bug and a nice feature once it will work correctly.

Adding @Kaniz Fatma​ and @Suteja Kanuri​ for visibility

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.