Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How i can add ADLS Gen2 - OAuth 2.0 as Cluster scope for my High concurrency Shared Cluster (without unity catalog)?

sunil_smile
Contributor

Hi All,

Kindly help me , how i can add the ADLS gen2 OAuth 2.0 authentication to my high concurrency shared cluster.

image.png 

I want to scope this authentication to entire cluster not for particular notebook.

Currently i have added them as spark configuration of the cluster , by keeping my service principal credentials as Secrets. But still am getting this following warning.

Kindly advice me what's the better alternate secure solution.

Note: Am creating the cluster using Terraform

Regards,

Sunil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes , i have configured them in spark configuration.

But i am yet to configure in cluster policy as he recommended

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

daniel_sahal
Honored Contributor III

It looks like you've removed some config entries from Spark Config that are required for multi-user cluster to work.

Try to only add the required config rather than overwriting.

sunil_smile
Contributor

Thanks for the response @Daniel Sahal​ 

But that's not an issue , i have enabled the Access mode as Shared by setting this property for my highly concurrent cluster and its workingimage.

ADLS gen2 OAuth is also working.

But my question , is it secured or any other better option where i can store the Cluster level scope

Jfoxyyc
Valued Contributor

Have you considered using session scopes instead of cluster scopes? I have a function stored at databricks. functions. azure. py that does this:

from pyspark.sql import SparkSession

def set_session_scope(scope: str, client_id: str, client_secret: str, tenant_id: str, storage_account_name: str, container_name: str) -> str:

"""Connects to azure key vault, authenticates, and sets spark session to use specified service principal for read/write to adls

Args:
        scope: The azure key vault scope name
        client_id: The key name of the secret for the client id
        client_secret: The key name of the secret for the client secret
        tenant_id: The key name of the secret for the tenant id
        storage_account_name: The name of the storage account resource to read/write from
        container_name: The name of the container resource in the storage account to read/write from

Returns:
        Spark configs get set appropriately
        abfs_path (string): The abfss:// path to the storage account and container
    """

spark = SparkSession.builder.getOrCreate()

try:
        from pyspark.dbutils import DBUtils
        dbutils = DBUtils(spark)
    except ImportError:
        import IPython
        dbutils = IPython.get_ipython().user_ns["dbutils"]

client_id = dbutils.secrets.get(scope = scope, key = client_id)
    client_secret = dbutils.secrets.get(scope = scope, key = client_secret)
    tenant_id = dbutils.secrets.get(scope = scope, key = tenant_id)

spark.conf.set(f"fs.azure.account.auth.type.{storage_account_name}.dfs.core.windows.net", "OAuth")
    spark.conf.set(f"fs.azure.account.oauth.provider.type.{storage_account_name}.dfs.core.windows.net", "org.apache.hadoop.fs.azurebfs.oauth2.ClientCredsTokenProvider")
    spark.conf.set(f"fs.azure.account.oauth2.client.id.{storage_account_name}.dfs.core.windows.net", client_id)
    spark.conf.set(f"fs.azure.account.oauth2.client.secret.{storage_account_name}.dfs.core.windows.net", client_secret)
    spark.conf.set(f"fs.azure.account.oauth2.client.endpoint.{storage_account_name}.dfs.core.windows.net", f"https://login.microsoftonline.com/{tenant_id}/oauth2/token")

abfs_path = "abfss://" + container_name + "@" + storage_account_name + ".dfs.core.windows.net/"

return abfs_path

And its usage is like this:

from databricks.functions.azure import set_session_scope
# Set session scope and connect to abfss to read source data

client_id = "databricks-serviceprincipal-id"
client_secret = "databricks-serviceprincipal-secret"
tenant_id = "tenant-id"
storage_account_name = "your-storage-account-name"
container_name = "your-container-name"
folder_path = "" #path/to/folder/

abfs_path = set_session_scope(
    scope = scope,
    client_id = client_id, 
    client_secret = client_secret, 
    tenant_id = tenant_id, 
    storage_account_name = storage_account_name, 
    container_name = container_name 
)

file_list = dbutils.fs.ls(abfs_path + folder_path)

Thanks for the response. But in this case every time we have to execute this function right.

I am expecting something similar to Mount point (unfortunately -Databricks not recommends mount point for ADLS) , where at the time of cluster creation itself we will provide connection to our storage account.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, the approach to set it in the spark config you used is correct and according to best practices. Additionally, you can put it in cluster policy so it will be for all clusters.

thanks hubert... could you kindly guide , how i can add that in the cluster policy ?

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III
  • error is because of missing default settings (create new cluster and do not remove them),
  • the warning is because secrets should be put in secret scope, and then you should reference secrets in settings

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Sunilprasath Elangovan​ , We haven’t heard from you since the last response from @Hubert Dudek​​, and I was checking back to see if his suggestions helped you.

Or else, If you have any solution, please do share that with the community as it can be helpful to others.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

Yes , i have configured them in spark configuration.

But i am yet to configure in cluster policy as he recommended

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.