Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Databricks JAR task type functionality

Chanu
New Contributor II

Hi, I would like to understand Databricks JAR based workflow tasks. Can I interpret JAR based runs to be something like a spark-submit on a cluster? In the logs, I was expecting to see the 

spark-submit --class com.xyz --num-executors 4

etc., And, then there is another task type introduced recently I think โ€” spark submit task type. If we have a JAR to execute, does spark submit task type and JAR type are implicitly working similar or different?

2 REPLIES 2

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, Could you please go through https://docs.databricks.com/workflows/jobs/how-to-use-jars-in-workflows.html and let us know if this helps?

Chanu
New Contributor II

Hi, I did try using the Workflows>Jobs>CreateTask>JarTaskType>UploadedMyJAR and Class and created JobCluster and tested this task. This JAR reads some tables as input, does some transformations and output as writing some other tables. I would like to know that this JAR task type can be interpreted as

spark-submit --class com.xyz --num-executors 

job? Because I was searching for this sort of entry in the log file , but couldnt find any. How does the JAR task type works in principle, is my actual question?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.