Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent - Use Python Variable in shell command in databricks notebook

shamly
New Contributor III

I am trying to read a csv and do an activity from azure storage account using databricks shell script. I wanted to add this shell script into my big python code for other sources as well. I have created widgets for file path in python. I have created variables named file_datepath and get widgets data into it. I want to read csv from azure storage account using file_datepath variable in a shell command.

I tried below, its not working.

dbutils.widgets.text("source_storage_path", "datafolder/data/")

dbutils.widgets.text("file_datepath", "2022/12/")

source_storage_path = dbutils.widgets.get("source_storage_path")

file_datepath = dbutils.widgets.get("file_datepath")

%sh tr '\n' ' ' <'/dbfs/mnt/{source_storage_path}/{file_datepath}/*.csv' > '/dbfs/mnt/{source_storage_path}/{file_datepath}/*_new.csv'

but this is giving me error no such file or directry. I tried with $ and everything. Nothing seems working. Please help @Sherinus​ @Hubert Dudek​ @Werner Stinckens​ 

4 REPLIES 4

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Yea I don't think it will work.

When you execute a shell command, you are working on the OS level. Linux does not know about DBFS or Azure or AWS or ...

If you want to do this, you have to mount the data lake in Linux, and this is not that easy.

Databricks (or the Spark application) bootstraps all this and gives you dbfs so you do not have to worry about connectivity.

May I ask why you want to do this with a shell command?

shamly
New Contributor III

Hi Werners,

I have a csv which has double dagger delimitter and UTF-16 encoding. It has extra lines and spaces Some rows ends with CRLF and some ends with LF. So, I have created a shell script to handle this. Now, I wanted to integrate this shell script with my bigger python commands.

%sh tr '\n' ' ' <'/dbfs/mnt/datalake/data/file.csv' > '/dbfs/mnt/datalake/data/file_new.csv'

dff = spark.read.option("header", "true") \

.option("inferSchema", "true") \

.option('encoding', 'UTF-16') \

.option("delimiter", "‡‡,‡‡") \

.option("multiLine", True) \

.csv("/mnt/datalake/data/file_new.csv")

dffs_headers = dff.dtypes

for i in dffs_headers:

columnLabel = i[0]

newColumnLabel = columnLabel.replace('‡‡','').replace('‡‡','')

dff=dff.withColumn(newColumnLabel,regexp_replace(columnLabel,'^\\‡‡|\\‡‡$|\\ ‡‡',''))

if columnLabel != newColumnLabel:

dff = dff.drop(columnLabel)

#[display(dff)

display(dff)]​ 

Now, I want to parameterise every path thats why I wrote the widgets, and get widgets etc

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

No need for a shell script. With spark and regex you can handle the most messed up files.

SS2
Valued Contributor

You can mount the storage account and then can set env level variable and can do the operation that you want.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.