Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I update an aggregate table using a Delta live table

Jennifer
New Contributor III

I have am using delta live tables to stream events and I have a raw table for all the events and a downstream aggregate table. I need to add the new aggregated number to the downstream table aggregate column. But I didn't find any recipe talking about this.

My code is similar to this below.

@dlt.table()

def my_raw_table():

return (

spark.readStream.format("cloudFiles") \

.option("cloudFiles.format", "parquet") \

.option("recursiveFileLookup", "true") \

.load(dirs)

)

def my_aggregate_table():

return (

dlt.read("my_raw_table")

.groupBy("col_id")

.agg((max(col_a)-min(col_a)).alias(col_aggr))

)

What I need to do is to add col_aggr in my_aggregate_table with the new aggregated value from my_raw_table.

The CDC with delta live table documentation seems only update with the new value, but didn't provide a way to increment the aggregate col_aggr with the new aggregate value.

I would like something in the delta live table similar to what can be done in delta lake table below:

my_aggregate_table.alias("aggr") \

.merge(

my_raw_table.alias("updates"),

"aggr.col_id = updates.col_id"

)

.whenMatchedUpdate( set =

{

"col_id": "updates.col_id",

"col_aggr": "col_aggr" + "updates.col_aggr"

}

)

.whenNotMatchedInsert( values =

{

"col_id": "updates.col_id",

"col_aggr": "updates.col_aggr"

}

).execute()

Is there any way I can achieve this in delta live table? Or did I misunderstand how the delta live table work for aggregate tables?

1 REPLY 1

Jennifer
New Contributor III

Maybe my code is correct already since I use dlt.read("my_raw_table") instead of delta.read_stream("my_raw_table"). So the col_aggr is recalculated completely every time my_raw_table is updated.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.